My media practice always begins with some tangible phenomena. For this reason, I prefer to use methods that allow me to reflect on the “real” while at the same time re-shaping it. Light-sensitive emulsion is my gateway to re-imagining and re-experiencing the physical world in a tactile and connected way even as digital processes engulf contemporary art and commerce with virtual disconnected ease.
As we process our response to Tuesday’s U.S. election, in which someone who has repeatedly spoken against women, people of color, queer people, immigrants, and disabled people, and who doesn’t believe in the science of climate change, we at agnès films invite filmmakers, artists, and activists around the world to channel their frustration through a creative and productive response. As we digest the election results and how they affect the future of the United States and the world, let’s find activist ways to counter the possibility of a rise in sexism, racism, homophobia, transphobia, Islamophobia, xenophobia, and ableism, as well as climate policies that endanger the planet and those—human, animal, and living organisms—who depend upon it. We at agnès films propose a coming together under the #StrengthThruActivism hashtag to discuss and promote activist projects through Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram in a variety of ways:
- Use #StrengthThruActivism to cultivate a dialogue that promotes positive change and builds a network of people who care for oppressed groups and work toward environmental sustainability.
- Use #StrengthThruActivism to work through ideas for activist projects and events—films and videos, art exhibits, performances, edited collections, digital publishing initiatives, activist groups, protests and marches, social media campaigns, etc.—in their formative stages.
- Use #StrengthThruActivism to recruit participants for your activist projects and events.
- Use #StrengthThruActivism to post photos, videos, links, and other ways in which you want people to engage with your work.
- Use #StrengthThruActivism to inspire, support, engage, and uplift in whichever way you envision the hashtag helping you do so.
We are not powerless. We are not victims. We can fight for the causes we care about even if we have a president we don’t agree with. We need to rise up and work together to counter the current climate and the oppression and inequality that led to someone with Donald Trump’s beliefs and rhetoric to be elected in the first place. Let’s create stories that change the future. Let’s create #StrengthThruActivism. We can do this together.
The agnès films team